Tuesday, July 8, 2008

In the Beginning

Well, I moved up to NH on Sunday July 6th and started my first class for my grad degree on Monday July 7th.  This class is a 4 week exploratory learning experience into inquiry based teaching. A lot of our time is going to be spent out at the Barrington Headwaters in Barrington NH. Today was our first day out there. We did a scavenger hunt to  give us a chance to just wander around and observe the area. Even though the weather is very hot it was quite cool in the woods. The best part was that I saw my first Moose tracks! The tracks followed along the road and eventually disappeared into the woods. The fact that we will be spending a lot of time there makes me hope that statistically I will get to see a Moose! This is a short drive from UNH's main campus in Durham NH. Besides running around in the woods and saying hello to every little frog and toad that hopped by, we will be doing a study on some aspect of the land there. Our brainstorming is starting this week while we get to know the area. I have tons of ideas I have been running over in my mind and finally picking on is going to be a challenge. Tomorrow we are heading back out to Barrington to hear some more about the history of the area. By learning this we will be able to learn more for the reason for the species and succession. Our readings that we do in the evenings, like last nights in Wessels' Reading the forested Landscape, made me look at the woods deeper! As I continue to read, I have a feeling that I will start to see more and more as I look into the woods.

On a personal note, I can't wait for the weekend to get a chance to explore the area more! I have been trying to hit up classmates who know the area for good swimming holes and places to explore.  I would like to be-friend someone who owns a boat. Moving from an island on coastal Georgia to the forests of NH, I am craving the beach. Luckily the tiny 13 miles of coast is about 20 min. from where I am! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your profile picture...by the way. Do you know my friends Stan, Kenny, Cartman, Eric, and Butters?

PS. Chef says hey.